- This event has passed.
Pitru paksha / Pitar Pak / Shraadhha श्राद्ध पक्ष (click for details)
September 14 - September 28
Pitru paksha / Pitar Pak 2019 / Shradhha Paksh begins / श्राद्ध पक्ष / पितृ पक्ष 2019
Pitru Paksh or Pitar Pakh or Shraddha 2019 (श्राद्ध / पितृ पक्ष) is starting from 15th Sep. During these 15-16 days rituals and pooja/prayers are performed in memory of our beloved ancestors, to express heartfelt gratitude and pray for their peace and seek their blessings.
Tithi (as per Auckland time): Pratipada (Ekam / 1st Lunar day) from 14th Sep 4.32pm (16.32Hrs) to 15th Sep 6.54pm (18.54Hrs)
- Pitru (पितृ) or Pitar means Ancestors / Family members who died
- Paksha (पक्ष) or Pak or Pakh means Fortnight (Lunar Fortnight)
- Shradhha (श्राद्ध, also known as Tarpan / तर्पण) means offering made to the manes / soul of any deceased person. This includes providing food to needy people and Brahmans; watering Peepal tree; and offerings prayers to ancestors.
The period from 15th Sep to 28th Sep 2019 is Shardhha Paksh (श्राद्ध पक्ष). The offerings (Shardhha) is done on the tithi of deceased ancestor. For example, if an ancestor died on tritiya / 3rd Lunar day, his/her Shardhha is done on 3rd day during this period of Sharadhha Paksh. However, any day during the Shardhha Paksh can be taken as per convenience to pray for the deceased.
Few observes Shardhha of people died on Full moon day one day prior to the first day of Shardhha Paksh
Paksh Period: 15th Sep to 28th Sep 2019 (Tithi is as per Auckland time)
- 14 Sep, Sat: Purnima Shradhha पूर्णिमा श्राद्ध
- 15 Sep, Sun: Pitrupaksha (Pitar Pak) / Shradhha Paksh begins. Pratipada / Ekam / Prathma tithi Shradhha (एकम श्राद्ध, 1st Lunar day of the fortnight. This day is also for maternal grand parents (Nana – Nani) if their death tithi is not known. Tithi from 14th Sep 4.32pm (16.32Hrs) to 15th Sep 6.54pm (18.54Hrs)
- 16 Sep, Mon: Dooj / Dwitiya tithi Shradhha (दूज / द्वितीया श्राद्ध, 2nd Lunar day). Tithi from 15th Sep 6.54pm (18.54Hrs) to 16th Sep 9.05pm (21.05Hrs)
- 17 Sep, Tue: Teej / Tritiya tithi Shradhha (तीज / तृतीया श्राद्ध, 3rd Lunar day). Tithi from 9.05pm (21.05Hrs) to 17th Sep 11.02pm (23.02Hrs)
- 18 Sep,Wed: Chauth / Chaturthi Shradhha (चौथ / चतुर्थी श्राद्ध, 4th Lunar day). Tithi from 17th Sep 11.02pm (23.02Hrs) to 19th Sep 12.41am (00.41 Hrs)
- 19 Sep, Thu: Paancham / Panchami Shradhha (पंचमी श्राद्ध, 5th Lunar day). This day is also for Shardhha of ancestors who were unmarried. Tithi from 19th Sep 12.41am (00.41 Hrs) to 20th Sep 01.56am.
- 20 Sep, Fri: Chat / Shishti / Shashthi Shradhha (छठ / षष्ठी श्राद्ध, 6th Lunar day) from 20th Sep 01.56am to 21st Sep 02.41am
- 21 Sep, Sat: Saatam / Saptami Shradhha (सप्तमी श्राद्ध, 7th Lunar day) from 21st Sep 02.41am to 22nd Sep 2.50am
- 22 Sep, Sun: Aatham / Ashtami Shradhha (अष्टमी श्राद्ध, 8th Lunar day) from 22nd Sep 2.50am to 23rd Sep 2.20am
- 23 Sep, Mon: Num / Navmi Shradhha (नवमी श्राद्ध, 9th Lunar day). This day is also for Mother’s Shradhha. (Matru Navmi) Tithi from 23rd Sep 2.20am to 24th Sep 1.07am
- 24 Sep, Tue: Dasam / Dashmi Shradhha (दशमी श्राद्ध, 10th Lunar day) Tithi from 24th Sep 1.07am to 24th Sep 11.12pm (23.12Hrs)
- 25 Sep, Wed: Agyaras / Ekadashi Shradhha (अग्यारस / एकादशी श्राद्ध, 11th Lunar day). Tithi from 24th Sep 11.12pm (23.12Hrs) to 25th Sep 8.39pm (20.39Hrs)
- 26 Sep, Thu: Baras / Dwadashi Shradhha (बारस / द्वादशी श्राद्ध, 12th Lunar day) / Magha Shradhha. This days is also for Shraddha for those who had taken renunciation (संन्यास) before death. Tithi from 25th Sep 8.39pm (20.39Hrs) to 26th Sep 5.32pm (17.32Hrs)
- 27 Sep, Fri:
- Teras / Triyodashi Shradhha (तेरस / त्रयोदशी श्राद्ध, 13th Lunar day) Also to perform Shradhha of those who died at early / very early age / children. Tithi 26th Sep 5.32pm (17.32Hrs) to 27th Sep 2.02pm (14.02Hrs)
- Chaudas / Chaturdashi (चौदस / चतुर्दशी श्राद्ध, 14th Lunar day). Sharadhha of those who had tragic death like (murdered, committed suicide, killed by weapon, accident). Shardhha of family members who died on Chaturdashi other than these reasons are usually performed on next day (Sarva Pitru Amavasya). Tithi from 27th Sep 2.02pm (14.02Hrs) to 28th Sep 10.16am
- 28 Sep, Sat: Amavasya / Sarva Pitru Amavasya (सर्व पित्रृ श्राद्ध, No moon day). For those who died on Amavasya (No moon day), Purnima (Full moon day) or Chaturdashi (14th Lunar day / Chaudas) or if the tithi is not known or if missed any of the above Sharadhha offerings. Tithi from 28th Sep 10.16am to 29th Sep 7.26am
Pitru Paksha is also known as Apara paksha, Jitiya, Kanagat, Pitru Pakshya, Pitri Pokkho , Pitar Pakh, Pitar Pak, Sola Shraddha.
Cleanliness is expected to be maintained while making the food and offering it to the ancestors.
There are lots of misconceptions about Shardhha Paksha or Pitar Pakh. We believe, this is the period to remember our loved once who have passed away. Let us take out some time from our busy schedule to perform prayers and do some charity. The rituals like watering trees and giving food to animals / birds etc are believed to be made to ensure that we take care of nature (Mother Earth).
Tarpan and prayers are organized in most of the temples across New Zealand. Click here for list of temples in New Zealand
indiansinnz.com 2019 Calendar covering all religious festivals, New Zealand National Holidays, Indian National Holidays, Selected Sports Events and Lunar day details (Hindu Tithi तिथी). Hindu year Vikram Samvat (विक्रम संवत) 2076: from 6th April 2019 to 25th March 2020
We bring you a unique blend of National (both New Zealand & Indian) and Religious calendar. The Indian / Hindu lunar day or tithi (तिथी) mentioned here are as per New Zealand time. When city is not mentioned, Auckland time is taken as standard time to calculate Sunrise-Sunset (सूर्योदय / सूर्यास्त समय), Moonrise-Moonset time (चंद्रोदय / चंद्रास्त समय).
Please click here for our terms and disclaimer. Monthly calendar is best viewed on larger screen (PC/Laptop/Tablet).
To submit correction or addition to this calendar / events, send an email to [email protected]