Krishna Janmashthmi New Zealand 2021
न्यूजीलैन्ड कृष्ण जन्माष्टमी 2021
(5248th Birthday of Lord Krishna)
Shri Krishna Janmashtami in New Zealand is celebrated in almost all temples and by various community association. Most of the temples in New Zealand starts celebrating Shri Krishna Janma Ashtami about 5-7 days in advance with Katha, Prayers, Aarti and Kirtan.
Please note, the programs may change due to current Covid situation. At Alert Level 4, the temples are closed and no community event takes place. New Zealand will remain in Level 4 during Janmasthami thus all the programs mentioned here may be either cancelled or moved online.
Tithi / Panchang
Ashtami tithi (Aatham / 8th Lunar day) is from 30th Aug 5.55am to 31st Aug 8.29am as per Auckland coordinates and local time.
The Janmashtami this year is observed on 30th Aug by Smarta (most of the temples across New Zealand) and on 31st Aug by ISKCON. This happens because few believe in Ashtami tithi at the time of sunrise, others on combining tithi with rohini nakshtatra, some community also celebrate on 8th day from full moon day. If you find it complicated, just observe on any day and focus on prayers and celebrations 🙂
Programs organized across New Zealand
Note: Due to lockdown programs are either cancelled or moved online, please check respective weblink)
- ISKCON Janmashtami 31st Aug, programs and prayers from 6pm till mid night – Digital online celebrations
- Shree Hanuman Mandir, Shree Krishna Janmashtami program 30th Aug, 6pm onwards. Katha & Prayers from 23rd Aug to 30th Aug 7pm to 9pm followed by aarti and feast. Address: 14-16 Bay Park Place, Birkdale, Auckland
- Bhartiya Mandir Janmashtami, 30th Aug, 4pm till mid night. Katha and prayers from 23rd to 29th Aug, 7.45pm to 9pm. Address: 252-254, Balmoral Road, Mt Albert, Auckland
- Radha Krishna Temple, Mahatma Gandhi Center, 30th Aug, 7.30pm onwards till mid night. 145 New North Road, Eden Terrace, Auckland.
- Shri Ram Mandir, Krishna Janmashtami, 30th Aug 5pm till mid night. Prayers / Katha and feast from 23rd Aug to 30th Aug. Address: 11, Brick St, Henderson, Auckland
- Ram Krishna Mandir, Janmashtami festival from 23rd Aug to 30th Aug, 6pm to 8.30pm followed by Arti/Prayers and feast. Address: 25 Onslow Ave, Manukau, Auckland
- Vaishnav Parivar Janmashtami Utsav, Auckland
- Shree Swami Narayan temple, Papatoetoe, Auckland. Watch Live
- Indian Association Manukau New Zealand, online Krishna Janmashtami bhajan sandhya, 30th Aug 8pm to 9pm
- Swami Narayan Temple, Janmashtami Festival, Hamilton
- Nand Mahotsav, Gujarati Parivar Waikato (Event cancelled due to Covid lockdown)
- Sanatan Dharam Mandir, Tauranga
- ISKCON Wellington Temple, Janmashtami celebrations, 31st Aug, 7pm till mid night at 105 Newlands Road, Newlands, Wellington
- Gita Mandir Janmashtami, 30th Aug at Wellington Indian Association, 48 Kemp Street, Wellington
Please check FB pages / website of respective temple / organization for exact dates / time of celebrations.
List of temples across New Zealand
Bhagavad Gita Chapter 4, Verse 7-8
The verse in English:
Meaning in Hindi:
हे भारत! जब-जब धर्म की हानि
और अधर्म की वृद्धि होती है, तब-तब मैं साकार रूप से प्रकट होता हूँ॥7॥
अच्छे पुरुषों का उद्धार करने के लिए, पाप कर्म करने वालों का विनाश करने के लिएऔर
धर्म की अच्छी तरह से स्थापना करने के लिए मैं युग-युग में प्रकट हुआ करता हूँ॥8॥
Meaning in English
And there is exaltation of unrighteousness, then I Myself come forth;