click here for Upcoming Navratri
Navratri 2019 celebrations in New Zealand
न्यूजीलैंड मे नवरात्री उत्सव 2019
Navratri festival celebrations 2019 in New Zealand: Auckland, Christchurch, Hamilton, Wellington and other cities – scroll down for programs
‘Nav’ नव means Nine and ‘Ratri’ रात्रि means nights. Navratri mean nine night. In various Indian languages it is mentioned as नवरात्री / નવરાત્રી / ਨਵਰਤੀ / நவராத்திரி / నవరాత్రి / ನವರಾತ್ರಿ / Navaratri / Nav-ratri / Navrathri / Navratram / Naurata / Naurati. The festival is celebrated by all the Indian religions and communities. The festival is celebrated with Prayers and traditional dances. There are many temples (Mandir / मन्दिर / गुरुद्वारा) and associations in New Zealand organizing various programs during Navratri. Every temple Authorities and volunteers put in their heart and soul to celebrate every Indian Festive occasions with great pomp and make us feel at home. click here to see list of temples in New Zealand
Navaratri, the nine days festival, when we worship Goddess Durga with prayers. These prayers are in form of mata ki chowki (माता की चौकी), Durga Puja, devotional songs and traditional dance called “Raas Garba”. This is one of the most popular festival across India, with unique traditional celebrations specially in Bengal and Gujarat states of India.
Navratri 2019 dates (Lunar day / Tithi as per New Zealand time)
- Sunday 29th Sep: Navaratri begins (this day is known as Ghat Sthapna and Mahalaya)
- Saturday 5th Oct: Saraswati Avahan (Tithi Saptami / Saatam / 7th Lunar day from 4th Oct 5.05pm to 5th Oct 5.20pm as per Auckland time)
- Sunday 6th Oct: Saraswati Puja, Durga Ashthmi, Hom Ashthmi, Sandhi Puja, 8th Lunar day (Tithi Ashtami / Aatham / 8th Lunar day from 5th Oct 5.20pm to 6th Oct 6.24pm as per Auckland time)
- Monday 7th Oct: Saraswati Visarjan, Maha Navmi, 9th Lunar day (Tithi Navami / Navmi / Nom / 9th Lunar day from 6th Oct 6.24pm to 7th Oct 8.08pm as per Auckland time)
- Tuesday 8th Oct: Vijaya Dashmi, Dussera, Durga Visarjan (Tithi Dashmi / Dashami /Dasam / 10th Lunar day from 7th Oct 8.08pm to 8th Oct 10.20pm as per Auckland time)
DANDIYA AND GARBA:
“Raas” or “Dandiya Raas” (डान्डिया रास) or “Raas Garba” (रास गरभा) is the traditional folk dance form of Gujarat & Rajasthan states of India. It is the featured dance of Navratri evening celebrations. It started from Gujarat and now one can see these dance in almost every city in India and entire world.
Raas Dandiya is organized in all major cities of New Zealand. There are many Dadiya Garba programs before and after navratri.
Navratri 2019 celebration programs in New Zealand
- 4th Oct & 5th Oct: Garba Dandiya Nights 2019 on Fri 4th Oct and Sat 5th Oct 7.30pm onwards at North shore events centre (Eventfinda Stadium) 17 Silverfield Lane Glenfield, Wairau Valley, Auckland 0627.
- 4th to 6th Oct: Durga Puja and NZ Sarbojanin Durgotsav organized by Probasee Bengali Association in NZ, from 4th to 6th Oct at NZ Athia Trust Hall, 37-39 Selwyn St, Onehunga, Auckland
- 4th to 6th Oct: Sarbojanin Durgotsav 2019 organized by NANDAN – Indian Bengali Association in NZ, from 4th to 6th at Blockhouse Bay community centre, 524 Blockhouse Bay Road, Blockhouse Bay, Auckland.
- 5th Oct: Dandiya nite 5th Oct, 7pm to 11pm at Point View School, 25 Kilkenny Drive, Dannemora, Auckland. Organized by The Art of Living and Team Munish Seth.
- All days: Shirdi Sai Temple, 12-18 Princes Street, Onehunga, Auckland. Mata ki chowki on 29th Sep 3.30 onwards. Bommalu Koluvu and Lalitha Sahasranamam Chanting from 29th Sep to 8th Oct 7.30pm onwards. Garba Dandiya at Saibaba Mandir Hall weekdays 8pm to 11pm and weekends 8pm to 12 midnight.
- All days: Mahatma Gandhi Center, Radha Krishna Temple 145 New North Road, Eden Terrace, Auckland. Organized by Auckland Indian Association. Delicious food, family friendly environment.
- All days: Bharatiya Mandir, 252 Balmoral road, Mt Albert, Auckland. Katha, Garba everyday from 29th Sep to 7th Oct. Puja: 5.30pm to 6.45pm, Garba: 7.30pm onwards, Durga aarti: 9.15pm. Free entry.
- All days: Shri Ram Mandir, 11 Brick Street, Henderson, Auckland. 29th Sep to 7th Oct, 7.20pm Devi bhagwat Katha. 8.15 onwards Raas Garba
- All days: Sri Ram Krishn Mandir, 25 Onslow Ave, Papatoetoe, Auckland. Daily program from 29th Sep to 7th Oct (Katha, Garba, Dandiya raas and prasad)
- All days: Maa Durga Temple, 4/3 Onslow Ave Manukau, Auckland: Katha and Mata Chowki followed by maha prasad from 29th Sep to 7th Oct
- All days: Navarathri festival Tamilarasi Nayagi from 29th Sep to 8th Oct at Thiru Subramaniyar Aalayam, 69 Tidal Road, Mangere, Auckland
- All days: Shiv Mandir, Navraatri celebrations from Sun 29th Sep to Mon 7th Oct daily after aarti at 6.30pm. Garbha, Dandia and devi bhagwat. Meal on 7th Oct. At Shiv Mandir, 43 Holmes Road, Manurewa, Auckland
- All days: Shree Sanatan Dharam Hanuman Mandir, Northshore, Auckland
- 11th Oct: Dandiya Night on 11th Oct, 7pm to 10pm at Vedic Centre 32 Glasgow Ave, Papatoetoe Auckland. Organized by Maa Durga Temple Manukau
- 12th Oct: Dussehra 2019 on 12th Oct, 2pm to 9pm at Alexandra Park (Corner of Greenlane West road and Manukau Road), Epson, Auckland. Organized by Maa Durga Temple Auckland
- Navratri Celebration, dance, garba on 5th Oct, 7pm onwards at Balmoral Hall, 240 Cameron St, Ashburton 7700. Organized by Ashburton Indian Multicultural Charitable Trust
- 5th Oct: Navarathiri Function 5th Oct 6.30 to 10pm at Templeton Community Centre, 64 Kirk Rd, Templeton, Christchurch 8042. Live performances and prayers. Organized by Canterbury Tamil Society Entry free. Bring some vegetarian food to share.
- Sri Ganesh Temple Christchurch Navratri / Durga pooja on 12th Oct, 6pm to 9pm at Harvard Community Lounge, 31 Corsair Dr, Wigram, Christchurch 8042
- Sri Sri Durga Puja on 12th Oct 9am to 5pm at Cotswold Preschool and Nursery, 37 Colesbury Street, Christchurch 8053. More info at Christchurch Bengali Community FB
- Bathukamma-Dasara celebrations including Bommala koluvu and Lalitha Sahasranama Parayanam on 5th Oct 6.30pm onwards at, TE HAPUA Halswell Centre, 341 Halswell Road, Christchurch 8025. Organized by Telugu Association of South Island
- Hamilton Waikato
- Navratri Garba Mahotsav 10 nights of Garba from 29th Sep to 8th Oct, 8pm onwards at waikato Indian Association Hall, 82 duke Street (building # 3, Rear building), Frankton, Hamilton
- Garba Night 2019, 5th Oct, 7pm onwards at Liffey stadium, Lincoln, Selwyn
- Free bollywood Garba Dance lesson, 28th Sep, 10.30am to 11.30am at Rolleston Community Centre, 94 Rolleston Drive, Rolleston, Selwyn
- GarbaRolls Ratri after Navratri Garba, dance, DJ, food stall and lots of fun on 12th Oct, 7pm to 11pm at Rolleston Community Centre, 94 Rolleston Drive, Rolleston, Selwyn. Free community event.
- Santatan Dharam Trust temple will be open full day during Navratri. Garba dance will start around 8pm. Address: 108 Whiore Ave, Tauriko, Tauranga 3171
- Navratri 9 days Garba, dance and devotion from 28th Sep to 8th Oct: Wellington Indian Association Navratri at Bharat Bhavan 48 Kemp Street, Kilbirnie Wellington
- Navarathri festival from 29th Sep to 7th Oct and Vijaya Dasami on 8th Oct. Classical dance, cultural festival and prayers at Kurunchi Kumaran Temple, 3 Batchelor Street, Newlands 6037 Wellington
Navratri 2019 recent past events (Upto 28th Sep)
- 19th and 20th July: Ratri before Navratri – Garba Dandiya event on 19th and 20th July, 7.30pm onwards at Mahatma Gandhi Center, 145 New north Road, Eden Terrace Auckland 1021. Buy Tickets
- 6th Sep: Lets Go Garba (Aavo to ramwa-ne, Garbe Ghumva-ne) – Garba dance on 6th Sep, 7pm to mid night. At Barfoot & Thompson Stadium, 203 Kohimarama Road, Kohimarama, Auckland, New Zealand 1071. Free event, Live bank, Delicious food counters
- 7th Sep: Rangtaali 2019, Dandia-Raas-DJ-Garba by Aishwarya Majumdar, 7th Sep, 7pm to 11.30pm. At Mahatma Gandhi Center, 145 New North Road, Eden Terrace, Auckland 1021. Presented by Yuva Gujarat, Gujarat Association of Australia. Tickets online $25, venue $30
- 7th Sep: Anandomela: first ritual of Durga Pooja, the food festival on 7th Sep at Western Springs Garden Community Hall, 956 Great North Road, Western Springs, Auckland 1022. Organized by Probasee
- 14th Sep: Ratri before Navratri Christchurch 2019, 14th Sep, 7.30pm till midnight at Bishopdale YMCA Recreation Centre, Christchurch
- 20th Sep: Dewang Patel Dance festival – Navratri Mahotsav 2019 at Christchurch
- 21st Sep 6.30pm onwards: Dewang Patel Dance festival – Navratri Mahotsav 2019. At S-Energy Sports Club 3/44 Portage Road, New Lynn Auckland 0600 Buy Tickets
- 28th Sep: Ratri before Navratri Garba Night 2019, 8pm onwards at Mahatma Gandhi Center, 145 New North Road, Eden Terrace, Auckland. Organized by Auckland Indian Association. Delicious food, family friendly environment.