Holi – Festival of colors 2021 रंगो का त्यौहार – होली
- Sun, 28th March: Holika Dahan, Chaudas (14th lunar day)
- Mon, 29th March: Holi Festival of colors, Vasant / Falgun / Dol Purnima
Holi, the Festival of Colors in New Zealand: HOLI होली festival is celebrated on full moon day (Purnima) of Falgun month as per Indian calendar. This is a two days festival, first day evening is burning of Holika the devil and second day is the color festival. Thus this festival is also known as Festival of Colours.
Festivals within the period of Holi are Rang Panchmi (2nd Apr), Sheetla Saptami (3rd Apr), Sheetla Ashtami / Basoda (4th Apr)
Prayers and Holika Dahan is organized at many temples across New Zealand. Holi celebrations with colors are enjoyed across many communities across New Zealand. Krishna Holi at ISKCON Kumeu is one of the most famous Festival of colours in New Zealand.
In India, gathering of poets reciting comedy and satire are popular. It is known as Hasya Kavi Sammelan हास्य कवि सम्मेलन
FAAG UTSAV: The singing of traditional and folk songs is celebrated during the Holi and Falgun month. The celebrations of singing these songs is “Faag Utsav”. It is more popular northern and eastern states in India. Many cultural programs are organised across New Zealand to celebrate Faag. Colorful Flowers are used to play instead of colors during Faag celebrations.
Here are few programs organized to celebrate Festival of Color:
- KRISHNA HOLI, 14th FEB at ISKCON, 1229 Coatesville-Riverhead Highway Auckland 0892. Most popular Holi festival in New Zealand.
- Holi Colour Splash, 20th Feb, 12 noon to 4pm at Memorial Park, Devonport Road, Tauranga, Bay of Plenty
- Grand Faag Muqabla, 19th March, 7pm at Vedic Centre, 32 Glassgow Ave, Papatoetoe, Auckland. Ticket $15
- Ashburton Holi 2021, 20th March, 11am to 3pm at Ashburton Domain
- HOLI Summer Festival 2021, on 21st March, 12noon to 6pm, at Vodafone Event Centre, 770 Great South Road, Wiri, Manukau, Auckland. Free entry, Certified organic colors will be sold onsite.
- Queenstown Holi Festival, 28th Mar, 10am to 3pm at Warren Park, Queenstown
- Holi Mela, Sun 28 Mar, 10am to 5pm at Trusts Arena, Central Park Dr, Henderson, Auckland. Organised by Waitakere Indian Association. Faag, DJ Gabroo, Food, Cultural Performances and celebrations of festival of colors.
- Holi Festival 2021, 28th Mar, 3pm to 5pm at Innes Common, Lake Domain Drive, Hamilton (Near Hamilton Lakes). Organized by Waikato Indian Association.
- FAAG MAHOTSAV, Grand Event, showcase glorious tradition of faag, 5th April, 2pm to 7pm at Mahatma Gandhi Centre, 145 New North Road, Eden Terrace, Auckland
Faag, Holi and Holika Dahan होलिका दहन (Similar to Bonfire) is organized in most of the temples across New Zealand. click here for list of temples in New Zealand
- Bhartiya Mandir, 252 Balmoral Road, Mt Albert, Auckland. Holika Dahan Sun 28th Mar, 7.45pm onwards and Holi Celebrations on 29th Mar
- Shri Ram Mandir, 11 Brick Street, Henderson, Auckland. Faag Gaayan, 26th Feb, 7.20pm onwards. Holika Dahan 28th Mar 7.30pm onwards, Holi color celebrations 29th Mar 7.30pm onwards.
- Radha Krishna Temple, Mahatma Gandhi Center, 145 New North Road, Eden Terrace, Auckland. Holika Dahan 28th Mar 8pm onwards
- Shree Swaminarayan Mandir ISSO, 10-12 Wentwoth Ave, Papatoetoe, Manukau, Auckland 2025. Narayan Dev Jayanti and Holi Utsav, 28th March
- Shirdi Sai Baba Temple, 12 Princes Street, Onehunga, Auckland. Holi Celebration, Holika Dahan 28th Mar 6.30pm to 8.30pm
- Indian Association Manukau NZ, Holika Dahan 28th Mar, 7pm at 57 Hillside Road, Papatoetoe.