About Lohri, Pongal, Makar Sankranti
Lohri, Pongal, Maka Sankranti or Uttarayan are fun filled festivals. These are few names of the festival season during mid January across Indian subcontinent. This is end of winter, beginning of spring season, new harvest period and position of Sun moves from Sagittarius (धनु राशि) to Capricorn (मकर राशि) on its celestial path. The harvest festival has different names across Indian subcontinent Lohri, Pongal, Makar Sankranti, Maghi Sangrand, Uttarayan, Bhogi, Hadaga, Magh Bihu, Poki, Tusa / Tusu Puja, Makaravilakku, पोंगल, मकर संक्रान्ति, उत्तरायण, माघ बिहु, भोगी.
The festival is celebrated by all religions Hindu, Sikh, Christian, some sects of Muslims, Jain, Buddhist. For Hindu and Sikh this is one of the main religious celebration.
Various programs are organized across New Zealand to celebrate this festive season. Prayers and feast are organized across temples and Gurudwara in New Zealand
Lohri, Pongal, Makar Sankranti events in New Zealand
- Lohri Mela – Auckland, 9th Jan, 2pm to 10pm at Barry Curtis Park, 163 Chapel Road, Flat Bush Auckland 2016. Food stalls, other commercial stalls, Kids Amusement Rides, Stage Performances, Gidha, Bhangra, DJ & Bonfire. Organized by Maa Durga Temple 4/3 Onslow Ave Manuaku, Auckland 2125.
- Lohri celebrations, 13th Jan 6.30pm onwards, bonfire at 7pm, songs, dance, prayers followed by maha prasad (feast / Langar) at Shri Sai Baba Temple, 12-18 Princes St, Onehunga, Auckland
- Lohri celebrations, 13th Jan, Prayers 7 – 7.45pm, Lohri pujan: 7.45pm to 8pm followed by feast upto 8.45 at Bhartiya Mandir, 252/254 Balmoral Road, Mt Albert, Auckland 1024
- Mahotsav 2021, 7th Jan to 19th Jan at Auckland Sri Ganesh Temple, 4 Dent Place, Papakura, Auckland 2110.
- Makar Sankranti Celebrations, 14th Jan 6pm to 7pm at hanuman Mandir, 14/16 Bay Park Place, Beach Haven, North shore, Auckland
- Christchurch Lohri Mela, 16th Jan, 4pm to 10pm at La Vida Centre, 34A Hansons Lane, Upper Riccarton, Christchurch. Bhangra, Giddha, Luddi, Boliyan, Live DJ, Cultural performances, competitions, food and more.
- Makar Sankranti Indian Kite Festival, 16th Jan, 11am to 6.30pm (Rain date 17th Jan), at Eastdale Reserve, Avondale, Auckland. Kite flying, stage performances, fun, picnic and kite flying. Free entry. Organized by Vaishnav Parivar Auckland
- Wellington Pongal in the park, தை பொங்கல் திருவிழா (Thai Pongal Thiruvizha) – 2021, 16th Jan 2pm to 5pm at Pavilion, Avalon Park, 61 Taita Drive, Avalon, Lower Hutt 5011. Registration required. Organized by Wellington Mutamizh Sangam
- Pongal Competition, 30th Jan at Mt Eden War Memorial Hall, 487 Dominion Road, Balmoral, Auckland 1024. Tamil traditions, cultural programs, competitions. Organized by Auckland Tamil Association
Tithi / Lunar day as per Auckland New Zealand time & coordinates:
- Chaturdashi / Chaudas / 14th Lunar day from 11th Jan 10.03pm to 12th Jan 7.52pm
- Amavasya / No moon day from 12th Jan 7.52pm to 13th Jan 6pm
- Pratipada / Ekam / 1st Lunar day from 13th Jan 6pm to 14th Jan 4.31pm
- Dwitiya / Dooj / 2nd Lunar day from 14th Jan 4.31pm to 15th Jan 3.34pm
- Tritiya / Teej / 3rd Lunar day from 15th Jan 3.34pm to 16th Jan 3.15pm