Navratri 2021 celebrations in New Zealand
न्यूजीलैंड मे नवरात्री उत्सव 2021
Due to Covid and lockdown limitations, most of the Navratri organizers may reduce number of visitors or even cancel the program this year. Please send updates to email@example.com so that we can provide information to all. Stay Safe! Stay Healthy! Jai Mata Di.
Navratri festival celebrations 2021 in New Zealand: Auckland, Christchurch, Hamilton, Wellington and other cities – scroll down for programs
‘Nav’ नव means Nine and ‘Ratri’ रात्रि means nights. Navratri mean nine night. In various Indian languages it is mentioned as नवरात्री / નવરાત્રી / ਨਵਰਤੀ / நவராத்திரி / నవరాత్రి / ನವರಾತ್ರಿ / Navaratri / Nav-ratri / Navrathri / Navratram / Naurata / Naurati. The festival is celebrated by all the Indian religions and communities. The festival is celebrated with Prayers and traditional dances. There are many temples (Mandir / मन्दिर / गुरुद्वारा) and associations in New Zealand organizing various programs during Navratri. Every temple Authorities and volunteers put in their heart and soul to celebrate every Indian Festive occasions with great pomp and make us feel at home. click here to see list of temples in New Zealand
Navaratri, the nine days festival, when we worship Goddess Durga with prayers. These prayers are in form of mata ki chowki (माता की चौकी), Durga Puja, devotional songs and traditional dance called “Raas Garba”. This is one of the most popular festival across India, with unique traditional celebrations specially in Bengal and Gujarat states of India.
Navratri 2021 dates (Lunar day / Tithi as per New Zealand time)
- Thu, 7th Oct 2021: Ghat-sthapna, Navratri Begins
- Tue, 12th Oct 2021: Durga Saptami, Saraswati Avahan
- Wed, 13th Oct 2021: Durga Ashthami, Saraswati Puja, Sandhi Puja
- Thu, 14th Oct 2021: Maha Navmi, Saraswati Visarjan, Ayudha Puja
- Fri, 15th Oct 2021: Vijaya Dashmi, Dussera, Dasherra, Budhha Jayanti, Madhavacharya Jayanti
DANDIYA AND GARBA:
“Raas” or “Dandiya Raas” (डान्डिया रास) or “Raas Garba” (रास गरभा) is the traditional folk dance form of Gujarat & Rajasthan states of India. It is the featured dance of Navratri evening celebrations. It started from Gujarat and now one can see these dance in almost every city in India and entire world.
Raas Dandiya is organized in all major cities of New Zealand. There are many Dadiya Garba programs before and after navratri. This year 2021, most of these events are either cancelled or postponed due to Covid Alert level 2/3/4 in New Zealand.
Navaratri 2021Programs in New Zealand
- Shri Ram Mandir, Henderson, Auckland, Facebook Live event, 7th Oct to 14th Oct: 7pm to 9pm (Aarti, Puja, Katha)
- Waikato Indian Association Navaratri Celebrations – Cancelled / Postponed
- Auckland Indian Association Navratri Celebrations – Cancelled
- Kurinchi Kumaran Temple, Wellington Navarathiri and Vijaya Dasami 2021 Programs, morning 8.30am and evening from 6.30pm
- Probasee Bengalee Association of New Zealand organises programs every year on Navratri. This year it shall be either online / controlled as per Covid level restrictions.
- Wellington Indian Association (WIA) Navratri 2021 program, 7th to 15th OCt at Bharat Bhavan, 48 Kemp St, Kilbirnie Wellington (Limited numbers as per Covid alert level, member only event) Tickets on Eventbrite
Stay Safe! Stay Healthy!