Navratri 2022 celebrations in New Zealand
न्यूजीलैंड मे नवरात्री उत्सव 2022
Please send event info and updates to firstname.lastname@example.org to list on this page for free
Navratri festival celebrations 2022 in New Zealand: Auckland, Christchurch, Hamilton, Wellington and other cities – scroll down for programs
‘Nav’ नव means Nine and ‘Ratri’ रात्रि means nights. Navratri mean nine night. In various Indian languages it is mentioned as नवरात्री / નવરાત્રી / ਨਵਰਤੀ / நவராத்திரி / నవరాత్రి / ನವರಾತ್ರಿ / Navaratri / Nav-ratri / Navrathri / Navratram / Naurata / Naurati. The festival is celebrated by all the Indian religions and communities. The festival is celebrated with Prayers and traditional dances. There are many temples (Mandir / मन्दिर / गुरुद्वारा) and associations in New Zealand organizing various programs during Navratri. Every temple Authorities and volunteers put in their heart and soul to celebrate every Indian Festive occasions with great pomp and make us feel at home. click here to see list of temples in New Zealand
Navaratri, the nine days festival, when we worship Goddess Durga with prayers. These prayers are in form of mata ki chowki (माता की चौकी), Durga Puja, devotional songs and traditional dance called “Raas Garba”. This is one of the most popular festival across India, with unique traditional celebrations specially in Bengal and Gujarat states of India.
Navratri 2022 dates (Lunar day / Tithi as per New Zealand time)
- Mon, 26 Sep 2022: Ghat-sthapna, Navratri Begins. Ghat Sthapna घट स्थापना muhurt on 27 Sep 7am to 8pm. Pratipada / Ekam / 1st Lunar day from 26 Sep 10.53am to 27 Sep 10.38am as per Auckland New Zealand coordinates and local time
- Sun, 2nd Oct 2022: Durga Saptami, Saraswati Avahan
- Mon, 3rd Oct 2022: Durga Ashthami, Saraswati Puja, Sandhi Puja
- Tue, 4th Oct 2022: Maha Navmi, Saraswati Visarjan, Ayudha Puja
- Wed, 5th Oct 2022: Vijaya Dashmi, Dussera, Dasherra, Budhha Jayanti, Madhavacharya Jayanti
DANDIYA AND GARBA:
“Raas” or “Dandiya Raas” (डान्डिया रास) or “Raas Garba” (रास गरभा) is the traditional folk dance form of Gujarat & Rajasthan states of India. It is the featured dance of Navratri evening celebrations. It started from Gujarat and now one can see these dance in almost every city in India and entire world.
Raas Dandiya is organized in all major cities of New Zealand. There are many Dadiya Garba programs before and after navratri.
Stay Safe! Stay Healthy!
Garba dance, Mata ki chowki and Prayers are organized every year in almost all the temples and Indian community centers across New Zealand. We humbly request you to please follow government rules and ensure we are safe and healthy.
- Indian Folk Dance GARBA rolls, Sat 8 Oct, 6.30pm to 11pm at Rolleston Community Center, 94 Rolleston Dr, Rolleston
- Ashburton Garba Night, 24 Sep at 11/35 Racecourse Road, Ashburton. Organised by Ashbuyrton Indian Multicultural Charitable Trust and Mid Canterbury Newcomers Network
- Ratri before Navratri – Christchurch 2022, 3 Sep 8pm at YMCA Bishopdale Court, Christchurch
- Maniyaro 2022, 27 Aug, YMCA Recreation Center, Bishopdale, Christchurch
- Sarbojonin Durgotsav Durga puja, 30 Sep to 2 Oct, at NZ Athia Trust Hall, 37-39 Selwyn Street, Onehunga, Auckland, organised by Probosee Bengalee Association of NZ
- Navratri 2022, Auckland Indian Association, 26 Sep to 5 Oct, 8pm to 11.30pm at Mahatma Gandhi Center, 145 New North Road, Eden Terrace, Auckland
- Navratri Live Garba, 29 Sep to 4 Oct, 8pm to 11pm at Swaminarayan Complex, 1-7 Wilmay Avenue, Papatoetoe, Auckland
- Northshore Garba Dandiya Nights 2022, 30 Sep and 1 Oct, 7pm to midnight (1am) organised by North Shore Indian Association at Eventfinda Stadium, Silverfield & Argus Place Entrances, Wairau Valley, Auckland. Free Entry
- Navratri Mantra Sadhana, 27 Sep to 5 Oct, 6.30am – 7.15am (online or in-person) click to know more
- Ratri Before Navratri, 20 Aug 7pm to midnight at Mahatma Gandhi Center, 145 New North Road, Eden Terrace, Auckland
- Pre-Navratri Live Garba, 27 Aug, 8pm to 11pm at Swaminarayan Complex, 10/12 Wentworth Avenue, Papatoetoe
- Prayers, Katha, Dandiya/Garba, Hawan and chowki is organised at Bhartiya Mandir (Sandringham), Sai baba Temple (Onehunga), Shri Ram Mandir (Henderson), Maa Durga Temple (Papatoetoe) and many other temples across New Zealand
- Bollywood Garba Night, 24 Sep at 7.30pm at Bharat Bhavan, 48 Kemp Street, Kilbirnie, Wellington
- DHOLIDA, Navratri 2022 26 Sep to 5 Oct, 8pm to mid night at Bharat Bhavan, Wellington Indian Cultural Centre, 48 Kemp Street, Kilbirnie, Wellington, 6022 (Fee only on Fri, Sat, Mon. Rest days are free entry)
- Ratri before Navratri, Fri 16 Sep, 7pm to midnight at Waikato Indian Association Hall, Unit 4, 82 Duke Street, Frankton, Hamilton
- Garba before Navratri, 9 Sep, 8.30pm onwards at Peachgrove Intermediate School, Hamilton East. Organised by Gujarati Pariwar Waikato
Navratri Prayers, Garba and Arti in New Zealand temples. Click here to see list of temples in New Zealand.
Enjoy and have a blessed festival. Jai Mata Di.
More programs will be posted as we receive details about them. Please click here or email to email@example.com to send listing of program on this page (rights to publish reserved, please click here to read our terms).