Looking for upcoming Lohri, Pongal & Makar Sankranti?
About Lohri, Pongal, Makar Sankranti
Lohri, Pongal, Maka Sankranti or Uttarayan are fun filled festivals. These are few names of the festival season during mid January across Indian subcontinent. This is end of winter, beginning of spring season, new harvest period and position of Sun moves from Sagittarius (धनु राशि) to Capricorn (मकर राशि) on its celestial path. The harvest festival has different names across Indian subcontinent Lohri, Pongal, Makar Sankranti, Maghi Sangrand, Uttarayan, Bhogi, Hadaga, Magh Bihu, Poki, Tusa / Tusu Puja, Makaravilakku, पोंगल, मकर संक्रान्ति, उत्तरायण, माघ बिहु, भोगी.
The festival is celebrated by all religions Hindu, Sikh, Christian, some sects of Muslims, Jain, Buddhist. For Hindu and Sikh this is one of the main religious celebration.
Various programs are organized across New Zealand to celebrate this festive season. Prayers and feast are organized across temples and Gurudwara in New Zealand
Lohri, Pongal, Makar Sankranti events in New Zealand
- Lohri Mela – Auckland, 11th Jan, 2pm to 10pm at Barry Curtis Park, 163 Chapel Road, Flat Bush Auckland 2016 Free entry, Free parking. Food stalls, other commercial stalls, Kids Amusement Rides, Stage Performances, Gidha, Bhangra, DJ & Bonfire. Organized by Maa Durga Temple 4/3 Onslow Ave Manuaku, Auckland 2125.
- Lohri Mela – Christchurch, 11th Jan, 5pm to 9pm at Loncoln Event Center, 15 Meijer Drive, Lincoln Christchurch. Ticket $10, kids under 12 are free. Alcohol free family event. Bhangra, Gidha, Live DJ, Dhol, Boliyan, Live folk instruments, Punjabi authentic food.
- Timaru Lohri 2020, 11th Jan 6pm onwards at Timaru South School, 44 Queens Street, Parkside, Timaru. Dance, Music, bon fire, food, kite flying, and sharing of pongal
- MTS Pongal Vizha, 11th Jan 6pm to 8.30pm at Mt Albert War Memorial Hall, Corner Wairere Avenue and New North Road, Mount Albert, Auckland 1024. Free admission with RSVP. Organized by Muthtamil Sangam Auckland
- Girls Second Lohri, 11th Jan 5pm to 8pm at 733 Great South Road Papatoetoe Auckland. Limited entry, Live DJ, Dinner and gifts. Registration required, please check poster.
- Makar Sankranti Indian Kite Festival, 12th Jan, 11am to 6.30pm (Rain date 19th Jan), at Eastdale Reserve, Avondale, Auckland. Kite flying, stage performances, fun, picnic and kite flying. Free entry. Organized by Vaishnav Parivar Auckland
- Due to Australia Bush fire, Bharatiya Mandir 252-254 Balmoral Road, Mt Albert, Auckland will be celebrating Lohri as a low key by chanting Mantra, Bhajans followed by Aarti and distribution of Moongfali and Rewaris on 13th Jan 2020
- Pongal Competition, 18th Jan 9am to 12.30pm at Mt Eden War Memorial Hall, 487 Dominion Road, Balmoral, Auckland 1024. Rangoli (Kola), cookery, Poetry, coloring, oratorical competitions and more. Organized by Auckland Tamil Association
- Thai Pongal Pooja, 18th Jan 10am to 1pm at Harvard Community Lounge, 24 Henry Wigram Drive, Christchurch 8042. Organized by Sri Ganesh Temple Christchurch.
In Gujarat state of India, this festival is also known as Kite Festival. Here are New Zealand Kite festivals which coincides with the festival:
- Kite Day – Fort Takapuna reserve, 17th Jan 10am to 12noon, at Fort Takapuna Vauxhall Rd, Narrow Neck, New Zealand 0624.
- Deep South Kite day 2020, 25th Jan 11am to 3pm, at New Brighton Beach, Marine Parade, New Brighton, Christchurch.
Tithi / Lunar day as per Auckland New Zealand time & coordinates:
- 12th Jan: Dwitiya / Dooj / 2nd Lunar day from 12th Jan 6.11am to 13th Jan 3.42am
- 13th Jan: Tritiya / Teej / 3rd Lunar day from 13th Jan 3.42am to 14th Jan 01.02am
- 14th Jan: Chaturthi / Chauth / 4th Lunar day from 14th Jan 01.02am to 14th Jan 10.19pm
- 15th Jan: Panchami / Paancham / 5th Lunar day from 14th Jan 10.19pm to 15th Jan 7.40pm
- 16th Jan: Shashthi / Chhath / 6th Lunar day from 15th Jan 7.40pm to 16th Jan 5.11pm